An Overview Of 4 Cases For Child Support

If you're no longer with the father or mother of your child, you may realize that they aren't contributing enough financially as they should. In that situation, you will need to seek child support to cover the child's expenses. Many people do not know that there are several kinds of child support and are confused about which one applies to their situation. It is important to know the differences so that you can file the appropriate kind of child support. Here is an overview of the 4 case types.


If you are a custodial parent that is having difficulty receiving child support from your formal spouse, Title IV-D is what you are looking for. It could be because you are unable to find the child's other parent to collect child support or you need to establish paternity. Once the parents are confirmed, the program will help enforce that child support is paid and distribute it to you as well.


When the child's other parent is no longer paying their fair share of child support, you will need public assistance until the issue can be resolved. By filing a case under IV-A, the Office of Child Support can step in and make contact with the other parent. Once the state is involved, legal action can be taken against the other parent to ensure child support is collected. This may lead to arresting them if they are within the state.


If you are responsible for a kid that is not your own, IV-E will apply to you. This could be if you are a grandparent, relative, or foster parent that is responsible for the primary care of a non-biological child. It is a way to recoup financial costs from a parent who no longer has custody.

Non IV-D

The most common reason for a case being considered Non IV-D is because of a divorce. This is because the terms of child support are agreed upon in private between both parents, and is also maintained without court orders. If a parent decides to stop paying their child support responsibilities, it will then become an IV-D case with the Office of Child Support Enforcement getting involved. If your child support is considered Non IV-D, it is important to document all payments so that you have proof if payments are missed.

By understanding the 4 types of cases for child support and working with a divorce attorney, you can use the one that applies to your situation.